Sunday, January 31, 2010

Digit 20091201 Scan02 Mobile Entertainment

(click on image for full view)

With the explosion in mobile subscriptions, we are seeing a commensurate increase in revenues of value added service providers. In my opinion, the value in value added services depends on how closed the system really is. If I am free to select my voice or data plan (as with an unlocked phone) and if my phone is smart enough to run browsers and visit various websites, most mobile VAS companies would find it difficult to earn anything out of me. It is because most phones have limited capabilities do we have to pay through our nose for so many "value added services" that are otherwise so plentiful and free on the Net. Which is not to say that all value added services are based on exploiting such limitations, some are both genuine and worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment